I know these gifts may vary depending on each person, but I wanted to share some of my personal picks. Everyone who struggles with anxiety, depression or another form of mental illness may need something completely different, but I think the most important thing they need is your support and love. Reaching out to someone, listening and being there for them are the most important things you can do as a friend or family member. There is NO price tag on that! These are some things I have found beneficial over the years that would make for thoughtful gifts this holiday season! Click on the picture above for all for all the direct links for each item.
1. Feeling Good by David D. Burns – This book gives so much insight on your mood & perspective on life! Dr. David D. Burns, M.D., outlines the scientifically proven ways that will help you develop a positive outlook. Some of the topics are self-esteem, overcoming addiction to love and approval, getting rid of negative feelings & feeling good every day! He also has a podcast, too! I can’t recommend this book enough.
2. Noise Cancelling Headphones – sometimes you just need to drown out all the noise and this is a good idea for someone when they are feeling overwhelmed, stressed, etc. These headphones will cancel out the noise and focus on what you want to hear. It is useful for traveling or in places with high traffic.
3. The 10 Best Anxiety Management Techniques – this book opened my eyes to so many things I didn’t know. Things that I had learned in therapy, but I didn’t quite “get” yet. Different techniques work for different people, so you just have to find what works best for you!
4. Lavender Candle– I am a sucker for candles but lavender had a calming effect – not to mention is smells amazing!
5. Pure & Natural 3 Pack Essential Oils – The collection includes Lavender, Peppermint & Tree Tee oil - these are a natural way to help your body stay calm. It is best if you put the oils at the bottom of your feet, on your neck or on your wrists!
6. Himalayan Salt Lamp – I was given this as a gift a few years ago! When they light up, they are said to change the energy of your surroundings, clean the air and raise your spirits! The list includes improved breathing, balance energy, treat asthma, clean the air, enhance circulation, ease cold symptoms, & help your focus and attention…. just to name a few! I would recommend sitting by one at least 30 minutes a day!
7. Vi-Tae Stress Reduction & Relaxation Bath Salts – I don’t know about you, but I love taking baths, even though I don’t do it very often. These are PURE Dead Sea salts which will instantly calm and soothe your body! Not to mention it will revitalize your skin 😊 There is nothing quite like having a nice quiet bath at the end of a long day, if you ask me!
8. Uninvited Book by Lysa TerKeurst – this book changed my life! Since I struggle with low self-worth and approval of others, it helped me replace all those negative thoughts with truth and scripture. The enemy wants to attack us and steal our joy. Lysa shares her own personal experiences with true authenticity & biblical thinking. I believe everyone needs to read this book!
9. Himalayan Scrub – Honestly, this is just good to have in general! It is known to help detoxify the body and help remove hydration. It is RICH with antioxidants and an excellent source of vitamin C. Use this in your bath, and you will be feeling SO refreshed!
10. Shoulder Massager – I have had this for over a year and it has helped me so much!! My shoulders and neck are always so tense and it helped relieve those spots within minutes. It is definitely a quick fix, especially if you can’t regularly go get a professional massage.
11. The Bible – I know not everyone is religious, but this book for me is something I can’t live without. So much of my anxiety is Satan feeding me lies, but if I am following and trying to be more like Jesus, the scripture reveals what HE has to say! Memorizing and meditating on scripture is key. Jesus is my only hope while I am here on earth!!
12. A Journal – journaling is something that can be very therapeutic for many. Sometimes, we don’t know what to say or how to say it, so writing it out can be the best solution!
13. Weighted Blanket – A weighted blanket can help you relax and sleep better! They lower stress and create a calm feeling by raising serotonin levels in the brain. I definitely need one of these!
14. Heated Blanket - This is especially nice in the winter but sometimes, just having the warmth of a blanket can help you relax! This can also help you sleep better if you tend to be on the cold side!
I hope you found this helpful and found some possibilities for a friend, family member or loved one!