It's that time of year! There are so many things to do in DFW so it was very hard to choose my favorites, but these are some MUST DO events going on in the area that are perfect for anyone and everyone! I'm so excited to go and spend time with loved ones this season.
1. Arboretum – I love going to the Arboretum in Dallas, especially for Thanksgiving & Christmas. The pumpkin displays are incredible, and all of the decorations are beautiful! The 12 Days of Christmas displays are STUNNING! It’s only $15 per person, so it’s nothing that would break the bank for a nice date day! Tickets found here.
2. Klyde Warren Park Christmas Tree Lighting – December 1st, FREE! Maybe I am partial to this because I will be performing 😊, but they have all sorts of family activities going on in the afternoon. Activities include free photos with Santa and Ms. Claus, food trucks, kids’ crafts, face painting, holiday music, a holiday show at 5:45pm, and they will conclude with the Christmas Tree Lighting at 6pm! More info here.
3. Gaylord Texan Hotel – If you have never been to the ICE Exhibit, now is this time to go! The theme this year is “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” but they are also adding Santa’s Wild Workshop Snow Tubing! It is perfect for families, kids & couples! Not to mention, the Gaylord has so many other decorations, a restaurant, and stores – and it’s a beautiful place just to visit around the holiday season! Learn more here.
4. Enchant Christmas – Arlington, Nov 23-December 30th. I have not personally been to this, but I am SO excited to go this year! It is the World’s LARGEST Christmas Maze filled with beautiful lights!! The events include an Ice Skating Trail & Skate Shop, live entertainment, food & drinks, a visit with Santa & more! Tickets are already selling out, so grab yours today here!
5. Shows – There are so many shows going on in the area, but a few the family might be interested in are A Christmas Carol at Dallas Theater Center, Elf at Dallas Summer Musicals, The Gift of Christmas at Prestonwood Baptist Church, and Magic Tree House’s Holiday Musical: A Ghost Tale for Mr. Dickens at Dallas Children’s Theater!
6. Prairie Lights – Thanksgiving – December 31st! You get to stay in your car and drive through a park filled with 4 million lights! You can hop out to get a pic with Santa at the holiday village or walk through a “forest.” Find tickets here.
7. Music – The Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra and Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary Master Chorale team up to perform Handel’s Messiah on November 30th at Bass Hall. Find tickets here! The Trans-Siberian Orchestra will stop at American Airlines Center on December 22! If you have not heard their music, it is STUNNING! Other music shows include Michael W. Smith & Amy Grant on Dec 2nd and Tommy Emmanuel Plays Christmas Tunes at the Majestic Theatre on December 16th!
8. The Nutcracker at Texas Ballet Theatre – Playing at the Winspear Opera House from Nov 14-Dec 3rd and at Bass Performance Hall Dec 8-24th. If you show up early for a Saturday matinee, they include stores and crafts for kids! Tickets are found here.
9. Volunteering – I am trying to find more opportunities to do this, even at a local church or shelters, but just serving in any way shape or form. I want to actually make it happen and help make a difference!
10. Spending Time With Family – I feel like this is a given. But, in the end, family and our closest friends are all we really have! It’s so important to make this a priority all year, not just around the holidays. I want to challenge you – if you think you can’t reconcile and make amends with some family drama, you can. I realize that this may be a hard and sensitive time for so many people who don’t have the relationship or family around anymore for this special time of the year. I want to encourage YOU to reach out and surround yourself with people who deeply care about you.
I know there are many other activities including lights, parades, and festivals around the DFW area, but I wanted to list a few of my favorites! It is such a wonderful time of year, so take advantage of it and go out and have some FUN! Or, staying home and watching Christmas movies & staying warm sounds good to me too! I know I will be doing plenty of THAT!